February 13, 2009

Coraline

Rating:  A-

Premise:  Coraline Jones is ignored by her parents and is very bored at her new home.  She discovers a secret door in her living room that takes her to an “other” alternate life.  Things seems dreamy until her other mom gets a little needy.  Then it gets creepy.

I love this book.  It is creepy and scary but doesn’t back down like most children’s books.  The movie is a good adaptation of the book and really brings the characters and images to life almost exactly how  I imagined them.  There is this great sense of creepiness from frame 1.  The animation is fantastic and so seamless that I forgot it wasn’t computer animation but stop motion.  The story drags a little but overall I liked this a lot.  Got an A- for the quality of the animation.  I saw this in 2-D but may have to go find a 3-D showing.

No comments: